Sunday, October 10, 2010

Day 27

Today was Sunday and due toe the limitations on my Jet Blue pass I couldn't fly today so I was stuck in a NYC hotel near the airport. That turned out to be just fine because I used the time to rest for what would be very long days to wrap up my trip. The last couple of days would likely start before dawn, include hiking all day, and not getting back until way past sunset... So I spent almost the entire day in my hotel room watching football and doing some more thinking about long term career goals. I came to several conclusions about my personality that hopefully will be useful as I start my job search in a couple of weeks:

1. Thrive On Change: Repetition bores me and doing something new and different everyday is crucial. I can get bored very quickly and when that happens, I tend to check it out and become very unmotivated at work. Having a career that is somewhat unpredictable and not knowing what each day will bring is important to me.

2. Rules & Rigidity: Having worked for big companies / small companies and industries full of rules, insurance, and fewer rules, technology; rules and rigidity are the enemy for me. I understand rules are required sometimes but nothing is more frustrating than a rule or policy that makes no sense and the lack of vision of guts to break that rule when it makes sense for everyone involved.

3. Love Competition: I thrive on competition and it drives me to keep pushing to get better. That competition requires a couple of things; 1. A large group of people in the same or similar roles. 2. Metrics that those people are held accountable to. Finding a role that can leverage my competitive nature is crucial.

I'll be curious to see what happens when the job search starts in early October. As an aside, I went out for Italian food and stumbled onto Italian Cheesecake. I didn't realize that it was any different than regular cheesecake but it has the orange zest / flavor added which makes it delicious. Highly recommended if you like cheesecake and orange!

Thanks for reading my blog and as always any questions /comments please post below or email me at chris@pricelessperspectives.com

No comments:

Post a Comment